A hurricane is passing just north of us here in Sarasota. It’s been gloomy, rainy and windy all day— perfect soup weather.
I was craving a creamy broccoli soup but I don’t feel great after eating large portions of dairy so I didn’t want it to be totally cream based.
This low carb, creamy broccoli soup was so good, only required one pan (always a win!) and even has a Florida flair to it. It’s full of nutrient dense foods and good fat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- Olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 2 cups kale
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 hass avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and garlic until translucent on medium high heat. Make sure to stop and enjoy the smell.
- Add broccoli and chicken broth to pan, bring to a boil then cover, lower temperature to medium low and let it simmer for 17 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped kale in, stir until well wilted.
- Mash avocado then add it to the pan along with the juice of half a lemon. (That’s the Florida flair I mentioned!)
- Use an immersion blender and blend until desired consistency.
- Add the butter and heavy whipping cream, blend again.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Some notes: Shredded cheddar cheese, goat cheese, seeds and/or sour cream would make nice toppings! Feel free to add some cayenne pepper to give it a little kick. I actually added in andouille sausage for one serving and that was great!